Wednesday, December 15, 2010

So much to do and so little time

And now perhaps a snow and ice storm! Now ordinarily I love a good winter blizzard as much as the next guy, but not when I still have shopping to do. I keep thinking I'm almost done and then I check the list and it turns out,Yikes I'm not!!
So tonight as I pulled in the garage with several more gifts purchased, feeling pretty good about myself, I suddenly realized not only am I not done shopping, I haven't wrapped a single present yet.

I always have a vision of how I want the packages to look all arranged under the tree. A different color theme each year of paper and bows. I had thought this year solid red and green paper with burlap bows. A kind of simple look. With perhaps a touch of sparkly glitter here and there. I haven't purchased the paper or made all of the bows yet. And there's only eight days to our immediate families get together. I now begin to feel sweaty and a bit panicky.




So now as sit here writing, I  think to myself a snow and ice storm could be a blessing. Oh to be snowed in,with electricity of course, could just be the ice cold medicine I need to make it to the finish line.


Our creek last winter

 The day after Christmas I always end up saying the same thing to myself. I say it with a deep sigh, By golly next year will be different,I intend to do less and make time to actually enjoy the season. Like the very act of saying it will some how carve into a piece of coal and make it happen. Instead I seem to test that statement and discover more crafts to try, more tasks to embrace,and more excuses in the end as to why I couldn't complete any of it.


A beautiful drive once we were able to dig out last winter


 I think it's all about wanting to create the perfect holiday. That amazingly perfect holiday that I have in my mind. Which I must admit is next to impossible to live up to. I know this, I really do. Somewhere deep down underneath the visions of sugared plums set on a buffet table that would amaze Martha Stewart.



Swedish gingerbread house from Marthastewart.com

 So while I sat in my car watching the garage door close I made a decision. A kind of promise to the ghost of Christmas present. That this Christmas is already perfect. It's not about finding the perfect gift. Or finding the perfect wrapping paper with the perfect matching bow. Or even the perfect menu, on the perfect buffet table set around the perfect centerpiece......well I must admit that is kind of important.

Every Christmas that God gives us is a blessing.



 The only ingredient I need to make this, or any other years celebration perfect, is just for everyone to be healthy and able to come together as a family, gathered of course around my perfectly set buffet table.
Now where on earth is my good table cloth and cake stand?
I guess I'll never learn.
Please Lord don't give up on me yet!

6 comments:

  1. Well said! I agree that we always seem to stress out about everything.Being together is the most important thing this time of year. I always search high and low for the must have gifts that usually end up tossed aside 2 days after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a Merry, Merry Christmas from
    Theanne and Baron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that it is a blessing when everyone of the family could come together to celebrate the big day. Merry Christmas Rebecca, have a great one this holiday with your family! :>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There

    Better get busy on that wrapping. LOL I always like it when it's over I make such a mess wrapping items.

    Thank You for your very nice comment on my blog about me posting cute things. That makes me feel good about what I show sometimes I think oh that was nothing anybody will want to see.

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Busy gal. Your photos are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I love shopping and finding presents from my family and friends but I hate wrapping. I'm not sure why but I do and I always put it off! I don't know why I do - maybe I think some Santa Elf is going to do it for me during the night while I sleep so when I wake up it's already done! I always leave it for the very last. And, yes, I did this year as well!
    I have to agree with you tho - we put so much pressure on ourselves wanting to create the "perfect" Christmas but the only perfect Christmas was the very first one.
    Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete