Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Simple Craft

        During Easter as I was decorating my table I had an idea. Well more like a great HGTV memory of a craft I saw on The Carol Duvall Show. Gosh I sure do miss the craft shows they use to show daily.Now it's all decorating and landscaping, and that's fine but WHAT HAPPEN TO THE CRAFT SHOWS!! Okay well back to the subject.
They're little hats or bonnets that are made from Styrofoam cups.I love this simple silly craft idea because there's really nothing much to buy. The first time I made these was for a ladies luncheon at our church many,many years ago as small place markers.
I had the cups and besides acrylic paint and trinkets for trim the only other thing you need is an oven.Now what I couldn't remember was the exact temperature to set the oven. I do remember it was a low temp.....just not sure how low. So I just thought I would wing it.
I decided to use small cups because I really wanted to make tiny little bonnets. I do realize I probably damaged the ozone layer with this craft while they were melting,but they really are too cute when their finished. You just place them on a piece of foil on a cookie sheet,and then simply stick them in the oven. I set my oven at 275F to start. Then after a while I decided it was taking way too long so I turned it up to 325F.
Watching them shrink and curl is so funny. Reminds me of working with Shrinky Dinks plastic,which is an amazing craft product. It's hard to believe that it will ever turn out right as it flips and flops and curls up while melting in the oven. Now these don't flip near as much but it is the same concept.
I set a cup in the middle to show how much they shrink.These are the small cups.
When they are finally finished they set up rock hard. You can paint them and then add some bling. You can hot glue ribbon,tiny feathers and beads. Make them as fancy and elegant as you want,or just leave them simple and plain. You're only limited by your imagination. Have fun and go crazy. If you have girls in your life this would be great craft to do together. A real Fancy Nancy moment.

Hat photo for creative ideas

A couple of them almost looked like tall pilgrim hats.So I decided to set a few aside to finish for next Thanksgiving.

photo of actual hat to use as example of how to decorate.

That's the fun part you never know how they will turn out. The shape is almost always different.

Again just an photo for example of how to decorate your hat

They would be great as favors for parties, like Easter,Mother's Day or even Derby parties( that's big here). Since I don't have any little girls in my world, I did wonder if they would work as a doll hat.

I did use one once on a birthday present instead of a gift bow....and it was adorable.
A thought did just occur to me as I type this....what a cute Christmas ornament they would be painted black or gray to look like Frosty the Snowman's hat.Or the hat from Dr Seuss Cat in the Hat.
So many ideas from such a simple and inexpensive product. I wish I had actually finished a few of these to show you just how cute they turn out. But as usual the ole ADD kicked in and I moved on to another idea. It's a wonder I get anything done around here....hahaha!
Give them a try and let me know what creative ideas you come up with.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those are so cute! I'm totally going to make some! You did a fabulous job decorating them! Also, I love the Carol Duvall show too and miss craft shows, and the many creative ideas they supply. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do seem kinda like Shrinky Dinks! Shrinky Dinks are so fun... though come to think of it, THOSE probably damage the ozone layer, too... :/ But they're so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so neat!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun, creative idea! I agree there should be more craft shows--you could be on one with your wee hats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea Rebecca...when you get yours finished let us see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember making something similar to this when I was a girl...so fun and interesting..thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete